The proposed LSTAR passenger rail service will connect multiple communities with convenient stations located from Williamson County in the north to Bexar County in the south. The LSTAR will provide a congestion-free, reliable and affordable travel alternative for travelers throughout the region and will connect with Austin and San Antonio transit services. LSTAR can add capacity to the regional transportation system without the disruption and expense of highway expansion.
Increasing rail capacity is as simple as adding another rail car or providing more frequent service. At peak hours LSTAR service can carry the equivalent of two to four additional lanes in each direction on I-35, and users will see savings in terms of avoided congestion delays and fuel costs. Rail offers quality travel time that allows riders the freedom to read, work, or simply enjoy the scenery.
- 75-minute or less express train service in both directions between downtown Austin and downtown San Antonio, with a stop in San Marcos.
- Local train service in both directions between Williamson County and Bexar County with stops at all stations in between.
- Up to 32 round trips a day, including midday and evening service, for commuters, students and other regional travelers. Weekend and holiday service as well.
- Modern, safe, clean and comfortable passenger cars; amenities including wireless Internet access and bicycle racks.
- Connections to the nearly two dozen college and university campuses in Taylor, Hutto, Georgetown, Round Rock, Austin, Kyle, San Marcos and San Antonio; employment centers such as the Domain and Port San Antonio; and the region’s top tourist, cultural, entertainment, and lifestyle destinations.